As the Paleo Diet (AKA the caveman diet) rises in popularity, more followers are on the hunt for delicious and nutritious recipes. While it may seem simple to follow the Paleo Diet, which mimics the meals our hunter-gather ancestors are believed to have eaten, cutting out all processed foods can be difficult in a world filled with refined sugar, iodized salt, preservatives, artificial ingredients, pesticides, antibiotics, and other chemicals that didn’t exist back then. Whether you currently follow the Paleo diet or you’re just considering it, check out these 30 breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snack ideas to help make the lifestyle a breeze.
If you follow the Paleo Diet, that means your plate is filled with fruits, vegetables, lean meats, seafood, and nuts. You avoid boxed and bagged “fake foods.” You also stay away from grains and dairy. It’s all about eating unprocessed foods straight from the Earth, just like our ancestors did.
While there haven’t been many scientific studies conducted on the benefits of Paleo, scientists say, the little evidence we have so far look promising. The paleolithic diet has been shown to lower the body’s glycemic index and reduce waist circumference. It can also increase the number of vitamins and minerals a person consumes, and balance out nutrients such as proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
Breakfast Paleo Diet Recipes
1) Paleo Pancakes – Who says pancakes have to include bleached flour, refined sugar, milk/ heavy cream, and all those other bad-for-you ingredients? This Paleo pancake recipe uses mashed bananas, eggs, and coconut flour as the base, with a few other mix-ins to boost flavor. It’s simple, healthy, and delicious.
2) Dairy-Free Frittata – Frittatas are an easy-to-make breakfast dish that’s loaded with healthy fats, protein, key vitamins, and minerals. The only problem is, many frittata recipes include dairy to make the texture a bit fluffier. In this dairy-free version, though, you have the choice of using coconut milk or skipping the creamy liquid altogether. While this frittata is definitely a healthier option, it doesn’t skimp on amazing flavors!
3) Sweet Potato Hash Browns – This is comfort food at its finest! Made with sweet potatoes, eggs, and almond flour, these hash browns may become your next favorite breakfast dish. Let’s talk about the health benefits:
- Sweet potatoes are packed with potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and fiber. They also rank much lower on the glycemic index than regular potatoes. Plus, they’re naturally gluten-free.
- Almond flour is nothing more than ground up almonds, meaning they contain the same beneficial nutrients that a handful of almonds has.
- Then we have eggs. Eggs are a powerhouse when it comes to protein and healthy fats. While they are high in cholesterol, scientists call eggs an incredibly healthy food!
4) Sweet Potato Paleo Muffins – More sweet potato recipes for you! These flourless muffins may have a long ingredient list — including apples, carrots, figs, walnuts, and spices — but don’t let that keep you from whipping up a batch! Please note: This recipe calls for baking powder. While baking powder is allowed on the Paleo diet, commercial baking powders are not. That’s because they often contain gluten and cornstarch. So what can you do? Why not make your own! Simply mix together 1 part baking soda to 2 parts cream of tartar and voila – you have Paleo-friendly baking powder.
5) Almond Butter Blueberry Paleo Waffles – Watch how easy this recipe is to make!
6) Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bake – Who doesn’t love waking up to a big piece of cake? This hearty breakfast bake calls for one cup of quinoa, meaning it’s rich in protein and can help keep you feeling full for longer. Just one cup of cooked quinoa packs 8 grams of protein. It’s also one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. That’s not to mention, quinoa is high in fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, and antioxidants. So dig into this cake-like dish without the guilt!
7) Paleo Breakfast Casserole – When you think of breakfast, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind? For me, it’s eggs and bacon. While the processed bacon that fills many grocery store shelves should stay off your breakfast table, certified organic, sugar-free, nitrate-free, and all natural bacon is Paleo-friendly. In this breakfast casserole, you get to enjoy the rich bacon flavors, a dose of protein-packed turkey, and lots of vitamin-rich veggies.
8) Creamy Avocado Lime Parfaits – This no-bake parfait is incredibly easy to make and gives your taste buds a good zing. The creamy avocado, honey, and coconut oil balance out the sourness of the lime juice. Along with being yummy, this breakfast dish also offers many health benefits. That’s because the avocado provides healthy fats and protein. Plus, the lime juice packs many powerful nutrients. In fact, the juice of just one lime is made up of 20 calories, 7 grams of carbohydrate, 2 grams of dietary fiber, and 32% of your daily recommended vitamin C intake.
9) Avocado Banana Smoothie – Some mornings call for a thick and creamy smoothie and if you enjoy sipping your breakfast meals then this is a definite must try. The nutrients in this smoothie promote heart health, boost energy, improve digestion, and aid weight loss.
10) Paleo Peach Parfait – This Paleo Peach Parfait is dairy-free, grain-free, and nut-free. So it’s perfect for even the most restrictive eaters. In this recipe, a homemade blueberry “yogurt” is layered in between cooked peaches with basil. Then, the whole thing is topped with crunchy Paleo-friendly granola. Yummm!
Lunch/ Dinner Paleo Diet Recipes
11) Bunless Chicken BLT – This healthified spin on the classic deli sandwich turns grilled chicken into “bread.” The protein-packed and lean grilled chicken breasts are sliced down the middle to become little pockets for the bacon, tomatoes, spinach, and basil. If you don’t have spinach or basil on hand, any leafy greens will work. This healthy meal works great for lunch or dinner. It only takes about 20 minutes to make and is sure to please your taste buds!